The Order in Council (OIC) Search gives you the option to search for a specific Order in Council using a variety of parameters. Search results will give: the P.C. number; the Registration number for Part II of the Canada Gazette, (if applicable); the authority; the sponsoring department; and, a brief description of the OIC.
It is possible to search OICs from 1990 to the present using this site. The full text of OICs is available for items approved starting November 1, 2002, via the “attachments” link (created using HTML); please contact the Orders in Council Division through the "Contact Us" section for original copies of OICs for the past five years. Any OIC older than five years can be obtained from the Library and Archives Canada Reference Centre by telephone at (613) 996-5115 or 1-866-578-7777 (toll free in Canada and the United States), by Fax (613) 995-6274, or by visiting their website.
For copies of OICs published in the Canada Gazette, Part II, a link to the Canada Gazette website is provided for your convenience.
- P.C. Number (Privy Council Number): Enter any P.C. number to obtain a specific item, or you may enter the year in a four digit format to obtain a list for that specific year. The P.C. numbers are entered as year accompanied by number. (ex: 2008151 without any dash)
- From Date/To Date: Enter the date range to restrict the search to a specific time period. You may enter only one or both of the dates. If only the “From Date” is entered the system will search from that date to present. If only the “To Date” is entered it will search from the oldest OIC in the system to the specified date.
- Keywords: Enter one or more words separated by spaces to search in the précis. Each word must be present in the précis to appear in the results. You can separate the words with the keyword “or” to get précis that contains one keyword or the other.
- Department: Enter one or more words separated by spaces to limit the search to a specific department. Each word must be present in the departmental name to appear in the results. You can separate the words with the keyword “or” to get departments that contain one keyword or the other.
- Act: Enter one or more words separated by spaces to limit the search to a specific Act. Each word must be present in the title of the Act to appear in the results. You can separate the words with the keyword “or” to get acts that contain one keyword or the other.
- Chapter Number: Enter the chapter number and year of Royal Assent of an Act to find an OIC relating to the coming into force of the Act.
- Bill Number: Enter a bill number of an Act to find an OIC relating to the coming into force of a specific bill.
- Coming into Force: Select Yes to only show OICs that bring an Act into force. Select No to only show OICs that don't bring an Act into force. Select any to show all.
Note: Leaving all search fields blank and pressing the “Search/List” button will generate a list of Orders in Council starting with the most recent.
The Orders in Council available through this website are not to be considered to be official versions, and are provided only for information purposes. If you wish to obtain an official version, please contact the Orders in Council Division via the "Contact Us" link