Remuneration Guidelines for Part-time Governor in Council Appointees in Crown Corporations
Effective October 1, 2000
These guidelines set out the form, amounts and conditions of payment for the part-time services of persons appointed to office by the Governor in Council (GiC). They are not an authority in themselves. They set out what can be recommended routinely and without substantiation for the approval of the GiC. Each organization must obtain its own Order in Council for authority to pay.
For most parent Crown corporations, section 108 of the Financial Administration Act requires the GiC to fix the rate of remuneration for directors, chairs and chief executive officers. For some, the statute that creates the organization specifies the authority to fix remuneration for GiC appointees.
These guidelines apply to all persons appointed to part-time positions in Crown corporations for which the GiC has the authority to fix the rate of remuneration.
They do not apply to full-time employees or appointees of a Canadian government organization because they are not eligible to receive additional remuneration for a part-time GiC appointment.
The Canadian government's compensation policy recognizes the need to attract and retain well-qualified appointees.
Service to the public and not adherence to market rates influences the remuneration of the highest executive levels. This principle also influences remuneration for part-time service which, for most appointees, is incidental and additional to their regular vocation.
Form, Amounts and Conditions of Payment
The schedule of per diem rates and annual retainers that follows specifies the maximum rates that may be submitted for GiC approval on a routine basis.
The annual retainer paid to vice-chair positions or to positions of chair of one of the Board's committees may be fixed at a higher rate by the Governor in Council to acknowledge the additional responsibility.
Submissions requesting rates that exceed those of the schedule must include justification for exceptional consideration by the GiC.
When a statute by which an organization is created limits payment to a particular circumstance such as for attending meetings, no per diem payment may be made for any other reason.
Only one per diem payment shall be made in respect of a twenty-four hour calendar day.
A per diem rate is normally payable for the following:
- physical attendance at meetings of the board and of recognized committees or sub-committees of the board (including appointees' participation by electronic means);
- four meetings conducted among a quorum of the board or its committees or sub-committees, by telephone or other similar facility;
- travelling time, if the time required to travel between the meeting place and the normal place of residence exceeds three hours; and
- special executive, analytical or representational responsibilities explicitly designated by the governing members of the organization.
|Group||Per Diem Ranges||Annual Retainer Ranges|
|Directors & Chairs||Directors||Chairs|
|1||$160 - $250||$2,600 - $3,000||$5,100 - $6,000|
|2||$220 - $260||$2,900 - $3,400||$5,700 - $6,700|
|3||$200 - $300||$3,200 - $3,800||$6,400 - $7,500|
|4||$275 - $325||$3,600 - $4,200||$7,100 - $8,400|
|5||$310 - $375||$4,000 - $4,700||$8,000 - $9,400|
|6||$360 - $420||$4,600 - $5,400||$9,200 - $10,800|
|7||$410 - $485||$5,300 - $6,200||$10,500 - $12,400|
|8||$470 - $555||$6,100 - $7,200||$12,200 - $14,300|
|9||$565 - $665||$7,300 - $8,600||$14,500 - $17,100|
|10||$680 - $800||$8,800 - $10,300||$17,400 - $20,500|
Note: See Annex A for the allocation of Crown corporations to groups.
Annex A - Crown Corporations Groupings
- Atlantic Pilotage Authority
- Great Lakes Pilotage Authority
- Canadian Race Relations Foundation
- Cape Breton Growth Fund Corporation
- Enterprise Cape Breton Corporation
- Laurentian Pilotage Authority
- Pacific Pilotage Authority
- Ridley Terminals Inc.
- Defence Construction (1951) Limited
- Federal Bridge Corporation Limited
- Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation
- Standards Council of Canada
- Canadian Museum of Nature
- National Gallery of Canada
- National Museum of Science and Technology
- Canada Council
- Canada Lands Company Limited
- Canadian Commercial Corporation
- Canadian Museum of Civilization
- Canadian Tourism Commission
- Marine Atlantic Inc.
- National Capital Commission
- Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Cape Breton Development Corporation
- Farm Credit Corporation
- International Development Research Centre
- Business Development Bank of Canada
- Export Development Corporation
- Royal Canadian Mint
- VIA Rail Canada Inc.
- Atomic Energy of Canada Limited
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
- Bank of Canada (fees fixed by by-law with approval of GiC)
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (Chairperson's remuneration fixed by GiC)
- Canada Post Corporation