Copyright © 1996-2017 Privy Council Office
Bureau du Conseil privé
Appendix A — Information Gathering Checklist
- What is the overall purpose of the job?
- What are the major responsibilities the job is intended to achieve?
- Which are the most time-consuming?
Program or Legislative Responsibilities
- What is the incumbent's role in administering the legislation or program?
- What is the incumbent's role in formulating or recommending policy?
Authority and Assistance
- What are the most important decisions the incumbent makes?
- About what does the incumbent inform his/her superior before taking action?
- What are the most important recommendations the incumbent makes to his/her superior?
- What other responsibilities does the incumbent have that may not usually be associated with such a position?
Relations with Others
- To whom does the position report?
- What aspects of the environment surrounding the job make it more difficult to accomplish its objectives?
- What subordinates report to the position?
- Who else reports to the position's immediate superior?
Hardest Part of the Job
- What are the major headaches?
- What is the greatest challenge?
- What are the most complex problems?
- What initiatives are the incumbent called upon to initiate or participate in?
Statistics on Job Dimensions
- What are the approximate numerical values of the items, which help to explain the overall size of your job?
Working Environment and Conditions
- What element of the job cannot be changed to mitigate the conditions?
- What sensitivities must the incumbent be aware of and incorporate into the work?
- Are the conditions temporary or permanent?
- What issues does the incumbent have to deal with in an innovative manner?
- What is the incumbent's role in leading the group or supporting the leadership of the organization?
- What are the different kinds of situations which the incumbent is called upon to react to or incorporate in his/her work?
- What non-verbal messages does the incumbent have to respond to in his/her work?
- Date Modified: