Copyright © 1996-2011 Privy Council Office
Bureau du Conseil privé
Federation Maps and Fact Sheets for India
||Republic of India
||1,095,351,995 (est 2006)
- 28 states: Andhra Pradesh; Arunachal Pradesh; Assam; Bihar; Goa; Gujarat; Haryana; Himachal Pradesh; Jammu and Kashmir; Karnataka; Kerala; Madhya Pradesh; Maharashtra; Manipur; Meghalaya; Mizoram; Nagaland; Orissa; Punjab; Rajasthan; Sikkim; Tamil Nadu; Tripura; Uttar Pradesh; West Bengal;
- National Capital Territory of Delhi.
- 6 centrally administered Union Territories: Andaman and Nicobar Islands; Chandigarh; Dadra and Nagar Haveli; Daman and Diu; Lakshadweep; Pondicherry.
Constitutional distribution of powers
- Federal: A bicameral Parliament composed of the Council of States and the House of the People. The Council of States (Rajya Sabha) represents the states.
- States: Most states have a unicameral legislature.